CITYkeys' indicators for smart cities become the basis for a new European technical specificationETSI - the European Telecommunications Standards Institute- announced the publication of a TS 103 463 that defines indicators for smart cities in Europe.
The Technical Specification, under the title “Key Performance Indicators for Sustainable Digital Multiservice Cities”, uses indicators to express smart development at city level in terms of People, Planet, Prosperity, Governance and Propagation.
The set of indicators is based on the work delivered by the EU-funded project CITYkeys  in the last two and a half years and especially the sets of KPIs that the project developed .
Benefits for multiple stakeholders are expected from the new Technical Specification:
- Cities will support their strategic planning and allow measuring their progress towards smart city goals. In addition, benefits are created from the enhanced collaboration within and between cities, providing the possibility to compare solutions and to find best practices;
- Policy makers will benefit from the indicators that help to set policy targets and monitor their achievement. ICT users KPI framework's sub-themes are formulated as policy goals and therefore the indicators are especially useful to follow progress towards policy goals;
- Solution providers will benefit from better insight into business opportunities for their products and services, and into the possibilities for replication in a different city or context;
- Industrial stakeholders will benefit from the recommendations for new business, e.g. based on open data;
- Citizens will benefit from the indicators as they may help to get a better understanding of complex projects and their impacts.
The first version of TS 103 463 is publicly available and be downloaded from the ETSI online database .